I recorded Bethany House publisher's change in James White's author profile April 1st. Unfortunately, for White, it was not an "April fools" prank. Even more surprising to me is, Scott Oakland's change in wording on his website introduction pertaining to James White's academic profile. Recall, Mr. Oakland was the very reason I brought up White's possible fudging on his academic accomplishments in the first place >>>
Those who observed the comment threads will obviously recall Scott Oakland's non-negotiable position in which he vigorously argued his assertions were correct describing James White's teaching association with Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary. Originally, Scott wrote on his website:
"We will discuss the importance of apologetics with Dr. James R. White, director of Alpha & Omega Ministries, a Christian apologetics organization. Dr. White received his D.Min in Apologetics at Columbia Evangelical Seminary, teaches Greek, Systematic Theology, and various topics in the field of apologetics at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary, and serves as an Elder at the Phoenix Reformed Baptist Church in Phoenix, AZ..." (//link, embolden added for emphasis)
When I (and others) challenged Scott Oakland's assertion implying that James White teaches at Golden Gate, he vigorously protested:
- "let me point out that you [Peter] have been weighed and found wanting on the evidence"
- "You [Peter] have stated that you are going to explain your position again. No, you have already your position and the events clearly and I have refuted them"
- "You and those who conclude that Dr. White is no longer considered an adjunct professor is called "climbing the ladder of inference"
- "...I suggest it is not me, but you and Peter's followers here, who are making something out of nothing and being obtuse"
- "[Dr. White's] content to leave his entry at Golden Gate remain as is...But his "current status" isn't bothering him in the least, apparently. It doesn't bother me, either..."
- "And by the way, if you want to talk about credibility...if they're so concerned about all this, why haven't they changed their site to reflect this "truth" that you all are proposing?"
- "Peter, face it. I have struck down all of your so-called evidences"
One could go on and on with Scott's insistence he'd "struck down" all of my "so-called evidences." If this is so, then why would Scott Oakland change his original wording in introducing James White to his podcast interview? Recall Scott's original wording above:
"Dr. White... teaches Greek, Systematic Theology, and various topics in the field of apologetics at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary..."
Now, however, Oakland has edited the words to this:
"Dr. White...serves as an adjunct professor at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary..."*
Know I am glad Scott Oakland softened the language which definitively implied James White presently teaches at Golden Gate. In addition, since White doesn't presently teach any subject for the seminary (and if we can believe the president of the seminary, White has no prospects of teaching at GGBTS in the future), the fact that Oakland removed specific subjects like Greek and systematic theology is helpful and more accurately reflects the true adjunct status between James White and Golden Gate--no relationship at all.
On the other hand, for Scott Oakland to vigorously argue he had "refuted" all the evidence we posted here questioning James White's teaching status at GGBTS, even suggesting we were "making something out of nothing," stating he was "unconcerned" about what we'd raised, but then turn right around and change the wording on his website to more reflect our concerns raised here is entirely strange, to say the least, and leave it at that.
With that, I am...
*the audio still has the introduction stating James White teaches Greek, systematic theology, and various topics in the field of apologetics at GGBTS and hence has not to date been edited
**in addition, Scott Oakland put up two posts "refutting the mess" we allegedly posted on this blog concerning James White and Golden Gate. Both posts have been withdrawn