Strict Calvinist*, James White, the president of Alpha & Omega Ministries issued me a challenge—call up his Dividing Line program and let’s get it on. He wants to ask me some questions. But why would he desire to ask me questions? I do not count. He said so himself. Even so, I’m afraid it’s not me who needs to be answering questions but him. I think James White needs to answer a lot of questions, questions he continues to dodge>>>
Now before I do list the questions I think James White should answer, I want to list things I don't care one way or another if James White answers.
I do not care (at least for now) what White says about:
- the number of debates he has had nor whom he has debated
- the many books he has written
- the number of papers he has written and who published them
- the trips he has made overseas to debate who or on what topic he has debated
- the many people who have been assisted through his writings, his debates, his papers, his travels
- how much Greek, Hebrew, and theology he knows
- how long he has been an elder
- the incredible amount of work required for obtaining “doctoral” degrees from CES
- how much better his unaccredited “doctoral” program was in contrast to accredited doctoral programs
- the number of classes he has taught for Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary in the past or any seminary for that matter
While James White could give us a lot of information by responding to any or even all of the above, I am presently uninterested in knowing the answer to any of them as interesting and informative as the answers might be.
What I am interested in knowing is this: does James White presently teach Greek, Hebrew, and theology at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary?
That’s it. A simple yes/no question. Of course, there will be a few follow-up questions. But again, simple questions.
OK, let's ask.
If James White answers "yes" to the simple question above, then here is the follow-up: If James White presently teaches at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary, what does James White teach? Again, a very simple answer will suffice.
If White presently teaches at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary, what course(s) do(es) James White teach? In addition, the reader should anticipate that if the answer is that James White teaches at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary, and he teaches, say, Hebrew, for example, then another follow-up would naturally be, at which Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary campus does James White presently teach Hebrew?
See. Very simple.
And as honestly as I know how to put it, I cannot see calling James White’s Dividing Line program for him to answer such simple, straight forward questions. Calls should be reserved for questions which demand much more exchange and dialog, would the reader not agree?
On the other hand, if James White answers “no” to the question, “does James White presently teach Greek, Hebrew, and theology at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary?” then some follow-up questions are necessary, because there exists confusion surrounding James White’s status with Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary if he does not presently teach for the seminary.
Allow me to list a few of them:
- James White’s bio page does not list him presently teaching at Golden Gate. Why? Is it because he is not presently teaching at Golden Gate and is not "scheduled" to teach at Golden Gate? Or did White just forget to update his present teaching status on his bio page? It could be the latter; however, given White's past record of making sure people know what he is teaching and where he is teaching, it is hard to believe his page is not current.
- Golden Gate’s list of adjunct professors does not list him as teaching for Golden Gate. Why? Presumably all other adjunct faculty is listed on their adjunct faculty page. If James White is not present adjunct faculty, it stands to reason why he is not listed. However, the seminary may not have its page current. There is a problem asserting the latter, however (see immediately following)
- Seminary officials affirm that James White does not presently teach at Golden Gate.** But if the seminary states James White does not presently teach at GGBTS, then the question of the adjunct professor page not being current is settled
- Seminary officials have stated James White will not be offered another contract to teach adjunctly for the seminary. If this is so, then it follows that the list does not contain White's name for obvious reasons
- The Golden Gate seminary president is on record stating there were no plans for James White to be "under contract" as adjunct faculty at Golden Gate. But if the president states no plans exist for James White to be issued another contract, how can one presume a contract may yet be issued when the president has not stated plans exist that James White is now being considered as a candidate for a contract to teach as adjunct instructor?
- James White undoubtedly knows Golden Gate's plans to not use him in the future since he asked them about it in June 2010. James White said several months ago he had "written to [his] immediate superiors at GGBTS to ask about this" but unfortunately he apparently refuses to inform his supporters what his superiors told him--at least publicly. Surely, they told him something. What did they say, James? Why do you not have a contract presently? Did they offer you a contract but you could not fulfill it? Or, did they inform you not to look for another contract from them? I think your supporters have a right to this information, especially since you continue to publicly state you presently are adjunct professor at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary. What do you think, James?
Hence, the fact remains, James White continues to allow the reading public to get the impression he presently teaches Hebrew, Greek, and theology for Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary:
- James White allowed a Christianity Today article to imply he presently (i.e. June 2010) served as a Golden Gate professor teaching Islam
- James White allows his main publisher, Bethany House, to continue to suggest he presently teaches at Golden Gate
- James White puts on the profile page of the unaccredited seminary (CES) where he presently teaches that he also presently teaches at Golden Gate***
- James White’s supporters put on their podcast page that White presently teaches at Golden Gate****
The confusion seems obvious: why would James White continue to allow the public to get the impression he presently teaches at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary when he does not do so?
We are convinced this is a question James White could answer without my calling his Dividing Line program.
With that, I am…
*some theologians insist White embraces what is known historically as Hyper-Calvinism
**a simple call to the seminary produced this information
***Interestingly, the faculty profile at CES states James White is "Faculty Mentor" who teaches Apologetics, Biblical Studies, Comparative Religions, Cults, Exegesis, Theology. The wording for the rest of White's academic profile includes James White *is* "Adjunct Professor teaching New Testament Greek, Systematic Theology, Christology, and Hebrew for Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary at their Arizona Campus. He is also the director of Alpha and Omega Ministries...He has written more than a dozen books...he also has extensive experience in debate...James is also a Critical Consultant with the Lockman Foundation and worked on the New American Standard Update." Note the order of the experience White has. The first on the list is "Adjunct Professor," the very position he does not presently have! The obvious conclusion an unsuspecting reader would gain is that James White is presently teaching Greek, Systematic Theology, and Hebrew at GGBTS. However, such a conclusion would be definitively false. White is not employed by Golden Gate, and nothing indicates plans to hire him in the future. As a further quest, it would also be interesting to find out if James White is still a Critical Consultant with the Lockman Foundation, or if his role was a "one-time" affair that ended with the 1995 update. If it was a "one-time" project, White appears again to be making it look like he is doing more in scholarly accomplishments than he actually is. Perhaps we'll check this out and update this post.
****Scott Oakland, a James White supporter and host of the ReformedCast podcast attempted to "answer" the concerns we've posted at his blog (here and here****). The initial problem is, Scott is confused about who gave him the video "answer". It wasn't me but commenter, Tim Rogers. Nor are his comments relevant to the info in this post. Rather, he ignores it. Unfortunately, Oakland created a culture of distrust by forwarding a private email I sent to him (clearly marked private!) to James White who read it on his public broadcast. And, Oakland has the audacity to "invite" me on his podcast to discuss the issue. No thanks! I didn't ride in on a turnip truck. The issue doesn't need "discussing." Instead Oakland needs to explain how he continues to publicly state that James White currently teaches Greek, Hebrew, and theology at GGBTS when absolutely no evidence exists that White is employed at Golden Gate. If there is evidence White teaches in any capacity at GGBTS, Oakland and White need to produce it. Otherwise, both of them are making false statements and, therefore, misleading the public
*****Scott Oakland apparently took the "responses" down. I suppose he saw his fundamental mistake in continually claiming that when he "called me out" for pointing to his erroneous profile of James White, the only answer I could offer was a video. However, as I mentioned above, he confused me with a comment by Tim Rogers. So, the "responses" are gone. And, in light of Bethany House's recent change in James White's author profile information to accurately reflect White is not presently adjunct professor at Golden Gate, Oakland probably spared himself some further embarassment by taking the posts down.